Thursday, March 1, 2012

Cultures vs. Co-Cultures


     The word, culture, has a variety of different meanings. I remember in biology the definition of culture was a growth or colony of bacteria. Today, I’m not going to talk about cultures living on your kitchen counter, nor the cultures that live on your computer keyboard. Of course I’m not going to talk about the cultures that live in your toilet. Today I want to talk about the culture definition of learned and shared values, norms, language, and behavior patterns that distinguish a group of people from another group.

     Have you ever heard of in-groups and out-groups? I’m sure you have, in fact we all belong to an in-group and out-group. An in-group is a group of people that you identify with, while an out-group is the opposite; it is a group of people that you don’t identify with.

     Immigrants, for one, have a hard time with in-groups/out-groups. They experience high levels of stress as they move to another nation, just because it’s hard to fit in with an in-group. This stress is called culture shock; the feeling of disorientation experienced when subjected to an unfamiliar culture, way of life, or set of attitudes. Immigrants try to fit in, but it’s very difficult. That’s why in the United States of America we see subdivisions like China Town, or parts of a town that may be Dutch or Spanish. I for one lived in a German community called Moltke, Michigan. My great-great grandparents on my father side moved from Germany and moved to a German area in Michigan just so that they could be part of an in-group. On my mother’s side, well, I don’t know exactly how many “greats” to use, so I’ll say, great-great grandparents moved from Poland to Posen, Michigan which is filled with many Pollock’s so they could be part of an in-group. Cultures aren’t just inherited. You can’t acquire a culture. You learn culture by those that raise you. Since my great-great grandparents were brought up a certain way, they wanted to be with others that were just like them, other’s that learned the same norms, values, symbols, and language.  

     Within cultures, there are co-cultures. Co-cultures are groups of people who share values, norms, and interests beyond their national citizenship. I myself have been a part of a co-culture. I may be Polish-German, but I associated with other’s that were Irish, or English, or Mexican.  For an example, in high school, I was in the “shy” co-culture. All my friends were of different nationalities and lived in small communities of their culture like I have in Moltke, but we shared the same values and norms; shy, quiet, and reserved, but not towards each other. We had the same understandings, tastes in food, behavior patterns, and interests. I thought I could get out of the shy co-culture. I wanted to be with the groups, such as the preppy, cheerful, bubbly cheerleaders. I tried out for cheerleading, which was a big step out of my safety net. As the season went on, I still wasn’t “part” of the cheerleading co-culture. In fact, it was very stressful just trying to fit in with this new group. Cheerleading didn’t last long for me. I just went back to my familiar co-culture. My friends and I had the same interests unlike the cheerleaders and I. The cheerleaders didn’t have the same interests, nor the values that I held. Don’t get me wrong. You can be part of multiple co-cultures. You might belong to co-cultures that share the same ethnicity, religion, music, or age group. Within these groups, they have their own norms, traditions, or values. Co-cultures can be seen with in other co-cultures.

     As you read this, what in-groups, cultures, co-cultures came to your mind that you may be part of? It’s an interesting thought process going back in your family history and seeing if they belonged to an in-group culture, or trying to think of the co-cultures that you belong or belonged to. For one, I had fun. 

     Here are a few websites you should check out:

          Anthony Bourdain is a professional chef that travels the world, finding new dishes to try while experiencing the food and customs of the people. His show is called, Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations.    

               
          The National Geographic Society, since 1888, is a a large non-profit organization that explores the worlds geography, archaeology, and natural sciences.
               

No comments:

Post a Comment