Thursday, March 1, 2012

Stereotyping


     Before I tell my sad story about someone stereotyping me at work yesterday, let me supply the definition for stereotype: A broad, but fixed and generalized image of a particular type of person or group of people that is applied to individual members of those groups.

     As the definition is circling and rotating the gears in your brain, apply the definition to yourself. Have you ever been stereotyped before? Oh, I have, yesterday a matter of fact. I answered the phone at my job (I’m in retail), and this gentleman wanted to know how to unsubscribe his email address for free coupons to the store. He was worried about his identity being stolen. Well, I told him he has to call the store’s customer service number and do it through them. He didn’t like that answer. He wanted it done right at that moment, god forbid. He then said, “Kids these days! Uneducated! No wonder why you work in retail!” 

     Um….excuse me? Uneducated so I work in retail? That is just a stereotypical thing to say, is it not? Not all employees are uneducated and work in retail. I have an Associates degree in graphic design and working on my Bachelors degree as a RN. Uneducated? No….Matter of fact, almost all of my co-workers are in college working on a degree. We may be in retail, but we are not stupid. If it wasn’t for those that work in retail, there wouldn’t be stores to shop at, right? 

     Since this incident happened to me, I recalled in my Interpersonal Communications class discussing stereotyping. There are three steps in stereotyping: Identifying a group we believe another person belongs to, recalling a generalization others often make about the group of people, and we apply the generalization to the person. To put it as an example, I work in retail, so I must be uneducated, so I must be stupid. 

     Other examples of stereotyping are: Steel mill workers are always grumpy, women are the worst drivers, SUV women drivers must be soccer moms, and women belong in the kitchen while men belong at work for support. Many people do find stereotyping unethical and offensive.  Stereotyping does lead to inaccurate observations of people. It is important to look at our perceptions before we act/say anything about them. Judging others isn’t the way to go. Think before you act. Are they really like that, or is it just a bad first impression? 

     As I right this blog, two questions sprouted in my brain. What if the world abandoned stereotyping? Should we abandon stereotyping altogether? Kory Floyd, an author of Interpersonal Communication Second Edition, says that it is unrealistic to abandon stereotyping. We should instead find a more productive way to deal with stereotyping through awareness and communication. You must be aware of the perceptions of stereotyping, and then instead of assuming that our perceptions of people are correct, we should get to know them first. Have you heard of the saying, “Don’t judge a book by the cover.”? It’s a true saying. Meeting someone for the first time can be nerve wrecking and stressful. In first impressions, you try to show someone what they want to see; although, most of the time it doesn’t work out that way. Instead we show that person someone they don’t want to see, so they stereotype and judge. So, try those two steps when you meet someone: Be aware of your perceptions and then get to know the person. You might surprise yourself by becoming a friend of someone you thought was a stereotype that you wouldn’t of have been friends with.  


                                           
                                        http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/rde2654l.jpg


     The link below is a different perspective about stereotyping. You should check it out to learn more about this subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment